Boiled beans, basic recipe
The beans are good as a side dish, main dish or a main course. You can use all kind of beans. They are very cheap. Half Kilo of dried beans are more than enough for 4/5 people.
In the Tuscan ”DOC" recipe, beans have to be soaked from the night before, then put in a pot of water with salt, a few grains of black pepper, a couple of cloves of garlic, some sage leaves and pieces of ham rind. All should cook very slowly for 2 to 3 hours, turning slowly, slowly more and with a wooden spoon. Now, I don’t have all this time, and many times I forget to soak the beans. So I studied a variant "almost as fast" and after various try and optimizations I got clocked also the cooking times.
- 500 g of Beans fresh or dried
- black peppercorns
- 3 gloves of garlic
- Bay leaves
- Rinse the beans and put them in a pressure cooker. Fill the pressure cooker with water up to the internal mark. Add a handful of salt, garlic, sage, black peppercorns and some bay leaves. Close the cover of pressure cooker, put on the stove and raise the flame until the whistle. When it starts lower the flame, and take the time. Please, look that you use fresh beans the time cooking is 15 minutes from the whistle.
- For the white dried beans the time of cooking is about 50/60 minutes (in pressure cooker). Borlotti variety are more hard and need at least 60 minutes for cook.
- Season with olive oil and serve.
- I put the black peppercorns in the tea filter, so they release only the aroma, and you don't eat pepper.
Italian Cook - Italian recipes, pasta, pizza, lasagne only the original italiancook.it http://www.italiancook.it/